Your resume does a lot more than tell a prospective employer about your career history, special skills, and qualifications. Yes, that’s right; your resume is saying things about you that you don’t even know and you might not like what it is saying.
1. “I don’t really care about this job.” If you don’t take the time to customize your resume to align with the specific of the job description, why even bother. Sending out 100 copies of the same resume is a waste of time, energy and money. Not to mention making you feeling horrible when you don’t get a response. I hear it all the time, “I’ve sent out hundreds of resumes and I never get a response.” Your time would be better spent focusing on a few positions and submitting a resume that has been carefully constructed for each particular position.
2. “I won’t do a good job if you hire me.” Submitting a resume that is full of errors sends the message that you couldn’t even be bothered to make an effort when applying for the job so why would you make an effort if you actually had the job. You need to put your best self out there so it is imperative that you send a document that is perfect. Proofread your resume, have someone else look at, and then look at it again. Don’t rely on your computer’s spell check.
3. “I am lazy.” Sorry I didn’t include a cover letter, didn’t have the right size envelope, missed the application deadline, sent a hand written resume, didn’t proofread, etc. Hiring managers do notice the little things. Take the time to do it right.
4. “I am smart, oh so smart, look at me! I’m a smarty!” Employing an ostentatious lexicon can delineate you as a magniloquent blatherskite. See what I mean? Using keywords is essential but don’t go crazy; keep it readable.
5. “Don’t hire me. Really, don’t do it!” Doing any of the above can cause a hiring manager to form an opinion that you would not be a good candidate. Reduce the chances with a resume that speaks to your finest qualities and accomplishments.
Megan Koehler is a Certified Advanced Resume Writer and personal branding strategist at ContempoResume. She enjoys working with professionals at all levels to identify and develop their unique value into a customized and powerful resume. Call 800-764-8709 for all your resume needs.