The New Year is all about making changes, new beginnings and reinventions and is also the perfect time to reevaluate your resume and prioritize your career goals.
1. Do some research on current resume and job search trends. If your resume is stuck in a rut reinvigorate it with a fresh and updated format, a personal branding statement and a strong, powerful summary.
2. The same goes for your LinkedIn profile. Keep it relevant and keep yourself at the top of the search results. Search by industry specific keywords. If your profile doesn’t show up then you need to make sure it does. Not sure what you should include? Search for similar professions or job titles to get an idea of what is out there. Then make yours even better!
3. Brush up on your networking skills and make an effort to actively pursue networking opportunities. Reestablish contacts and make new ones to expand your professional reach.
4. Examine your career goals. If you’re not where you want to be how can you get there? Explore ways to achieve your goals. Take a class, learn a skill, get a certification. Taking small steps towards your goal is better than taking no steps at all.
5. If you are actively searching for a new job make a plan. Do you want to send out five resumes a week? Follow up with those you’ve already sent? Make new contacts? A job search can become overwhelming and having a plan can make it more manageable. Write down your plan and stick with it; break it down into daily and weekly goals.
Megan Koehler is an Advanced Certified Resume Writer, personal branding strategist and owner of ContempoResume. She has worked with clients around the world to create resumes, cover letters and social networking profiles. For a FREE review of your resume send it to firstname.lastname@example.org.